What Can Chiropractors Treat?
When you think of going to a chiropractor, of course back tension, neck pain and whiplash come to mind immediately. But there are lots of other ways chiropractic care can improve your quality of life and overall well being.
Here are some lesser-known conditions you may want to seek chiropractic care for:
- Headaches – There are several different types of headaches, but many respond very well to chiropractic treatment. Through spinal manipulation, spinal mobilization, massage and flexion-distraction therapy your chiropractor may be able to help treat the underlying cause of your headache pain.
- Stress – When you are stressed, your body tenses up and can cause stiff, sore muscles. In turn, being in pain can add more stress to your life! Chiropractic manipulation can help relax your muscle tension, and massage therapy can provide a calm, soothing mental break to help communicate to your mind that all is well.
- Fibromyalgia – Symptoms of fibromyalgia include chronic neck, back and leg pain which can sometimes lead to other problems that cause constant, full-body pain. Chiropractic care can help fibromyalgia patients ease pressure points in these areas to reduce aches and pains. Spinal adjustments and soft tissue work can also help increase your range of motion if it’s being limited due to your pain.
- Pregnancy-related Discomfort – Due to the changes in the bodies of pregnant women such as an increased curvature of the back, posture adaptations and, oh yeah, that big ol’ belly, a misaligned spine can cause pain. Chiropractors trained to provide chiropractic care during pregnancy (like Dr. Levi!) use techniques so they don’t put pressure on the abdomen and have special tables to adjust for a pregnant woman’s body.
- TMJ Disorders – TMJ or temporomandibular joint pain can be caused by damage due to injuries, scoliosis, arthritis or tight muscles caused by clenching (bruxism) or grinding of the teeth. Whatever the cause, suffering from TMJ can result in a misaligned bite, pain, clicking or grinding noises when you open your mouth. A chiropractic adjustment and working of the soft tissues can help loosen jaw joint muscles and reduce symptoms.
- Asthma and Allergies – When the thoracic spine is misaligned or limited in its range of motion, it can impede the lungs from fully expanding. When you get a chiropractic adjustment, your lungs are less obstructed, your immune system is calmed and circulation to your lungs and sinuses improves. For some, there may always be a need for inhalers and other medication, however Dr. Levi can work in cooperation with your other doctors and treatments.
Regular chiropractic visits can be an important part of your overall wellness. If something is bothering you, Dr. Levi just might be able to help. He will do a full evaluation and recommend a treatment plan if he believes he can – so give him a call today!