We all know we look younger, healthier, taller and more confident when we have good posture, but there are lots of other benefits to keep in mind as well. With better posture we can improve:
- Muscle efficiency
- Stress on bones, joints and ligaments
See? Your mom was spot-on when she told you to “sit up straight” 1000 times!
So how can you improve your posture? The first thing is to become more mindful of your body when you stand, sit and move. Little corrections over the course of the day can have a big impact.
The second thing you can do to help your posture is to practice specific stretches regularly. When you stretch, you make those hunched muscles do their job again and help relieve tension from your back.
Here are five quick and easy stretches to try – all while seated! Just sit up straight in your chair and begin…
- Shoulder rolls – Lift your shoulders up towards your ears. Now roll your shoulders back while pulling your shoulder blades together. Do this five times backward then five times forward.
- Chest opener – Reach your arms out to the side, then up over your head. Clasp your hands and slowly stretch your arms up and back slightly behind your ears. Hold the stretch for 20 seconds.
- Elbow grasp – Sit on the edge of your chair. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and slightly down to bring your arms behind your back. Grab your right elbow with your left hand, and your left elbow with your right. If this is too difficult, you can just grab forearms in the beginning until you increase flexibility. Repeat by switching hands and elbows five times each.
- Spinal twists – Lift your spine straight up and rotate your body in one direction using your chair arm to help you get a deeper stretch. Hold the pose for two seconds. Repeat five times on each side.
- Neck turns – Turn your head all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Move very slowly so you can feel the muscles of the neck and upper back working to move your head. Repeat five times on each side.
Think your posture is affecting your overall health? Set up a checkup with Dr. Levi today!