Nearly 80% of US adults suffer from some level of back pain. Back pain is one of the leading causes of missing work, only coming in second to the common cold, and costs an average of $5 billion in health care expenses nationwide every year. While mild aches and pains in the back can go away with rest and time, back pain that lasts longer than a few days can quickly become chronic.
Sitting at a desk for long hours, repetitive movements, stress, genetics, and anatomical makeup can all contribute to back pain. Additionally, more sudden injuries like work-related injuries, sports injuries, and motor vehicle injuries can cause harm to your back. While there are many causes for back pain, there are also many simple methods to help alleviate it.
Sitting or remaining stagnant for long hours a day — think regular 8-hour workdays — can cause some serious damage to your body. Human beings were made to move. While moving more when experiencing back pain may seem counterintuitive, staying active can help decrease back pain even if doing very simple and gentle movements. Try taking a walk during your day or micro-breaks to do some small exercises — anything that gets you up from your seat!
Choose the Right Chair
If your job requires a lot of sitting — whether at home or in an office — be choosy with your chair, and don’t be afraid to spend a little extra money on an ergonomic option. Some things to be on the lookout for when choosing your work chair:
- Provides support for the natural curve of your spine by offering lumbar support;
- Has the ability to adjust the height of your chair so you can keep your feet flat on the ground and your knees at a 90-degree angle; and
- Offers armrest adjustability to allow you to hold your shoulders low and encourage your arms to rest at a 90-degree angle.
Work Your Core
Your abdominal core and back are deeply connected in the body. When your core is weak, your back is weak, which can cause aches, pains, and even injuries. Think of your core as the corset that holds your center in and together. When your corset is held tightly in place, you lessen the risk of back-related injuries such as strains, muscle spasms, and herniations. Incorporate a regular strength training routine into your life that centers around gentle core and back movements. As your core and back get stronger, the less likely you’ll be to experience frequent or extreme back pain.
While increasing activity and motion can go a long way towards great back health, it’s also important to stretch the muscles that you’re working on frequently. Stretching your muscles, beyond just your back muscles, is a crucial element in decreasing back pain. Try these simple stretches below every day to help relieve strain and tension in your spine and back.
- In a neutral seated position, hold your head in its normal resting position.
- Take a deep breath in, as you release it, slowly glide your head backward, tucking the chin in until you have your head and chin pulled back as far as they will go. Keep your head level and do not tilt or nod your head.
- Hold this for 3-5 seconds and then release.
- Repeat this sequence 10 times.
Back Widening Stretch:
- Give yourself a big hug, placing the right hand on your left shoulder and the left hand on your right shoulder.
- Take deep breaths in and out, feeling a release in your upper back between your shoulder blades.
A Visit to Levi Chiropractic
Come into one of our offices for examination and evaluation of the cause of your pain to become aware of the sources that may contribute to your symptoms of your pain. Dr. Levi will do a full examination to pinpoint the causes of the pain, and additional areas to be addressed during treatment.
Treatment will include spinal manipulation, also called spinal adjustment, which is a safe and effective treatment for back pain. This form of therapy uses targeted pressure on different joints of the spine to decrease pain and help the body, as a whole, function better. Additionally, if there are other areas of pain, Dr. Levi will utilize massage, manual stretching, and manipulation of the joints to help ease aches and pain.
Dr. Levi and his staff are committed to quality, caring, and outstanding chiropractic care for every patient. Utilizing tried and true Chiropractic methods, Dr. Levi will work with you to restore function and increase ease in your back and throughout your body. Don’t go into 2021 with aches and pain. Call us today to schedule your appointment!