Summer! Hooray! The ice cream truck, fireflies, sandy feet and a greater risk of spine injury. (Boy, did we ruin that imagery, huh?)
Unfortunately summer is a time when chiropractors see an increased number of injuries related to outdoor activities. This happens more in the summer especially if you are out of shape or get a little too ambitious with getting back to a sport you love.
But never fear! Your summer can still have all the fun in the sun you want. We’ve compiled this list of helpful tips to keep your spine safe and healthy while also staying active.
- Stretch, stretch and stretch some more – Be sure to do warm-up stretches, cool-down stretches and regular stretching two to three times a week to maintain flexibility, agility, and proper muscle, ligament, disc and tendon health.
- Strengthen your core – Core exercises aren’t just to achieve six-pack abs. They also train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work in harmony.
- Maintain proper nutrition – Summer foods are so tempting! Yet, keeping up a healthy weight and BMI, reduces the mechanical strain on the spine. Also, eating a balanced diet with all the necessary vitamins and nutrients, nourishes your bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons and cartilage.
- Use correct form – Ensuring that you have the proper posture and technique in your chosen sport is critical to keeping your spine healthy. Now you have one more reason to hire that golf pro to work on your perfect swing!
- Avoid over-training – Have a lazy day on the beach sometimes – you deserve it! Over-training can put a lot of strain on your spine as well as muscles, ligaments and more.
Exercise and movement are keys to long-term back health and pain reduction. So have a great summer, everyone! Of course Dr. Levi is here for you if you do happen to overdo it a bit.